Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Johnny Boy on Klausner (must read)

Well-familiar, intelligent poster "Johnny Boy" finally got fed up and delivered himself of the following impassionate address:
Johnny Boy says:
I just want to comment on something. I know I'm a tad late, but I figured I need to chime in.

Harriet Klausner, since 1999 or whenever it is she posted her first review, has been deceiving people into thinking she's been reading all of these books. 26,834 books, to be exact. I'm no reader (or I very seldom read, let's put it that way), but even I know that has to be almost scientifically impossible. If she's writing 74 reviews a day, then something is seriously wrong. I've said this before, but I feel the need to reiterate this. Klausner has to be a fake, or perhaps a computer generator. Writing plot summaries of books does not count as a review.

When I review (I review music albums and occasionally singles), I like to look at the quality of the music, the sound quality, and also if the musicians have talent. If I were to start writing like Harriet Klausner, my reviews would consist of: "This album has bass, keyboards, drums, guitar, saxophone, and vocals. Therefore, it comes highly recommended." Do you see how unhelpful that is? It is spectacularly unhelpful, and yet Klausner has been doing it since 1999. Thirteen (13) years. That still staggers me.

Well, recently, Amazon changed the reviews system, and Harriet Klausner got stripped from her title as the #1 reviewer. She's not even in the Top 1000 reviewers anymore. It took the site more than a decade, but justice has finally been served. Klausner's reviews are horrendous at worst and mediocre at best (and that's being VERY generous), and it is about freaking time Amazon did something right and removed this lady from atop the reviewer's throne. This should have been done in 2002, not 2012. But better late than never, as the old saying goes.

Klausner's reviews are sad, pathetic excuses. They're plot summaries. Useless plot summaries that you can 99% of the time find on the backs of books. Despite the fact that Klausner has been "dethroned," she still continues to churn out these useless "reviews" (I also use this word lightly in this scenario) per week by the hundreds (yes, 100s). The computer system that has created Harriet Klausner just does not seem to know when to give up.

Now that her time at #1 has come to an end (and thank goodness for that), I think it's time for Harriet to finally go away. No one really cares about her reviews anymore (not that anyone really did in the first place, except to lash out at what is a horrendous excuse for a reviewer), and so my thinking is, if people stop voting on her reviews and stop reading them, maybe (just ***maybe***) she'll go away. Don't even vote Not Helpful. Let's just try this. Ignore the computer, and maybe it will shut down and go away for good.

Oh boy, wouldn't THAT be nice???

I've ranted for the day. I'm done now.

Needless to say, we agree wholeheartedly, and concur. Good message, Johnny Boy.

No comments: