Monday, May 28, 2007

A disappearing review and a snotty comment!

This is interesting, see this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/0764201654/ref=cm_cr_dp_all/002-5252214-5336844?ie=UTF8&n=283155#customerReviews

I had purchased this book not realizing it was Christian fiction and read it anyway, and subsequently reviewed it, "While I understand this is a Christian book, it seeped through virtually ever word of the book and much too preachy and overbearing for my tastes, and virtually no chemistry between Ruth and Josh. This was one of those books that I prayed for the end to come so I could toss it in the charity pile instead of on my bookshelf to be read again and again. It's interesting noting from the other reviews on this site, and looking at the one on Amazon UK, the only 5 stars are from professional reviewers. Makes one think."

No big deal, but it even ended up a couple of days ago as one of the most featured (or whatever they call those spotlights now) review. Now it's not only gone, but I have this snotty comment from one of the other reviewers: "It may have been an honest review for her, but I'm one of the professional reviewers and I thought the book was great. I KNEW it was an inspirational and I found the dialogs to be terrific and did not find it to be awfully "preachy" at all -- for me it was a breath of fresh air and I loved it! Everyone has an opinion but to rank on a book because it is not a genre that you care for is not fair to any author. Very childish!Marilyn Rondeau, RIO Reviewers International Org. " and my "spotlight has been replaced with a Klausner review. Horrors! I wonder who had my review removed anyway?

7 comments:

Barbara Delaney said...

I've clicked on that link now three times and have read everything I see there but I don't see the comment you're talking about. I see a review by the individual you named but I don't see the comment.

Can you direct me to it?

Barbara Delaney said...

Okay, I think I understand now. That was the comment she left on your review which has since been removed. Write to Amazon and ask them where your review vanished to.

Malleus said...

Here's what you'll get in return (let's see if I guess correctly):

"We understand your frustration, however we ask that in their reviews reviewers do not refer to the King of Bumblandia. In your review you referred to the Kind of Bumblandia and as such the review cannot be shown.

What we recommend is that you edit your review to remove all references to the King of Bumblandia and resubmit it. We hope to see you on our site again!

Best regards,
Krishna Kujmaafrahththswamy
(Amazon customer service)"

Something like that. :-)

Misfit said...

Intersting, the review has disappeared from my Profile page, unless I click on most recent comments. Someone must have pull indeed, as I certainly didn't write anything inappropriate:

"First off, I confess I did not know this was a Christian book until after I purchased it at the big warehouse store. And I'm glad I bought it there instead of full price, this was a total waste of a day to get through this.

It's disappointing, as the story line could have had great possibilities and I loved the way Ruth was originally portrayed as a bit of a klutz. However, the characters were flat and uninteresting, either black or white with no gray areas between. There are pages and pages of useless conversations and characters that did not develop the story at all (especially Galen's family, I skipped many a chapter on them) and the big surprise of who the villain was (yawn!) was not much of a surprise at all. I mean, who else could it have been?

While I understand this is a Christian book, it seeped through virtually ever word of the book and much too preachy and overbearing for my tastes, and virtually no chemistry between Ruth and Josh. This was one of those books that I prayed for the end to come so I could toss it in the charity pile instead of on my bookshelf to be read again and again.

It's interesting noting from the other reviews on this site, and looking at the one on Amazon UK, the only 5 stars are from professional reviewers. Makes one think."

Did I piss off a reviewer or two? Kinda of funny how one "professional" reviwer who is more into smut that Christian fiction was so put out, eh?

Malleus said...

That's the last 'graph that got you in trouble. Resubmit w/o it and it'll be fine. Then add it as a comment.

Misfit said...

Good point JJJS, but I've post the same review (with slight modification on the last paragraph) on UK and CA and those reviews are still there.

I think this "top reviewer" must have some pull. What was that about not having to say anything nice about somebody?

Malleus said...

I bet that's 'cause no one clicked on 'report' on those sites. And here you have private armies of 'sales support' personnel. I think.

Plus, in the EU shilling of the kind we've been observing is (or soon will be) explicitly unlawful. Finally, these are simply different sites, so who knows what else...